Any Employment Visa – If you have the right combination of skills, education, and/or work experience, you may be able to live and work permanently in the United States by seeking an employment-based immigrant visa. The Permanent Workers describes the five employment-based immigrant visa preferences (also called categories). Dependents also can apply along with main applicant.